Thursday, December 29, 2011

1600 Quilt ~ A super easy quilt for the non-quilters.

So I got a template of a quilt called the 1600 quilt from Pinterest. It boasted that it was super easy and quick to make. I  have always wanted to make a quilt so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I took some step by step pics in case anyone wanted to make this quilt.  It was really easy to make. It took me a while because I was working on it only during my little guys nap time and some evenings.  This is seriously a quilt for non-quilters.



Here's what you would need:

*40 strips of fabric 2.5' x 40 ' ( you can buy a jellyroll at Wal-mart with matching patterns/colours... if you decide to do that you'll need two jellyrolls... the ones at Wal-mart have only 20 strips)
*string
*batting
*fabric for the binding
*fabric for back of quilt  ( 52"x 67")

Instructions
1.So here is my 2 jellyrolls sorted out by pattern. You should pick the patterns randomly. I created a pattern I thought would look great but it ended up that a lot of the same pieces were together. Next time I'll pick more randomly.

2. Next pick 2 strips and place them pattern sides together at a 90 degree angle at one end. Sew them together on the bias and trim off the extra letting a 1/4 inch hang off.



3. Repeat this step over and over and over again. Attach the new strip to the end of the old strip and repeat step # 2.  Do this until you have used all of your strips. You will have one long 1600" strip. Press all the seams to one side.
This is not the end of my strip but to give you an idea... it'll be crazy long. Next time I'll have to take a pic of it once its completely finished.

4.Now you will find one end and cut off 18". Then match up both ends, pattern sides together and sew down one long side.... and it will be long. Once you get to the middle of the strip where its folded over, cut the end so you can open it up.

5. Match up both ends, again, pattern sides together and sew down the side again. Once you get to the middle of the strip, snip the end and open it up. Repeat this step again and again and again. Every time you do this your quilt will get shorter and wider.
Matching the ends together
Sew down the side

6. Once you have finished you'll have the front of your quilt.

7. Next you need to baste, quilt and bind it and you are finished. Here are the websites I used to learn about basting, quilting and binding.

For bastinghttp://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2009/03/quilt-along-part-13-making-the-quilt-sandwich.html
For quilting and bindinghttp://www.lubirdbaby.com/2011/04/easy-strip-quilt-tutorial.html
For bindinghttp://oldredbarnco.blogspot.com/2009/06/quilt-along-week-7.html

 I definitely made some errors along the way but it was easy and fun to do. Once all is said and done, enjoy your new quilt. I'll post a picture of the next one I work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment