Thursday, August 8, 2013

52 weeks: Week 1- Who I am

I am a Canadian lady born and raised.... on the playground is where I spent most of my days... hehe just kidding but seriously now, I am 2nd oldest in my siblings ( there are four of us so technically my older of the younger brothers and I share the "middle child" title. I grew up in the "sticks" building forts and playing "push down the hill" and I wouldn't change it for the world. A sound of a train will never wake me up but instead is complete white noise.  I spent my summers biking with friends, building fires and forts ( not together mind you), eating smores, camping in PEI, swimming to herbie rock in the lake and having family suppers every Sunday with my grandparents and uncles.I was blessed to grow up in a beautiful house with a loving family.What more could a girl ask for?

I have two degrees. I have my Bachelors of Arts from Saint Mary's University with a major in Psychology (best darn school) and have my Bachelor of Education - Elementary from University of Maine Fort Kent (another awesome school) It took me a while to get the knack of university life but once I did and found my calling I rocked it! Both time periods in my life were amazing in totally different ways, from Alumni association at SMU to living in residence in Fort Kent ( a town I always think of fondly ) . Both times shaped me into the person I am today. I am currently working on getting my Early Childhood Education Certificate from NSCC and will hopefully have that under my belt soon.

I have had numerous job titles.... and I do mean numerous!* Ahem Job Ho? I think so!* My favourites have been the last few though. Although I secretly love all things office work( filing, answering emails etc) I have always love working with children. I always have. Whether its in a camp, classroom or day care setting I've always enjoyed spending time with the little people :P I find them so amusing and they teach me so much. It's pretty awesome to see them grow and experience new things.I loved loved LOVED working at Timberlake Camp.  I met my hubby there so that alone will make it a special place to me but it was also special for the friendships I made there and the things I experienced! NYC, the falls, Margos, North Dome... all too cool for words. I loved working as a Kindergarten Teacher at Manatee Bay Elementary ( Best school in South Florida in my opinion!) That year completely changed my way of teaching ( in a good way) Finally working with my current littles. Its such an eye opener to watch little ones ( and I do mean little) grow, learn and experience new things. I love that they get excited over things like the bus or a fire truck. It gives me a fresh perspective on life. I'm lucky that I get to be home with Little C but I love my littles and am so proud every time they figure out something new.

 I am sensitive. I try not to be but I just am. Sometimes I find stuff (like big parties or the malls at Christmas) too overwhelming but I'm working on it. I'm okay to be by myself for a while but I do enjoy company. I like to talk ( and have ever since I can remember... I'm pretty sure on my Primary report card it stated" sweet girl... but she likes to talk")and can re-tell a story with wayyy too many details ( ahem the Margeson retell gene is full force in me) I cry pretty easy but usually reserve it for on my own. I've been known to be called a "Hurricane" because my moods can be all over the place (again something I've been working on). I am competitive and I like to be a leader. I used to be okay with chaos around me ( dirty dishes, clothes all over the place etc) but as I age I'm finding I need to have things organized and clean, especially since I work from home. It makes me feel so much more relaxed and in control of everything. I love to laugh and love anything that makes me laugh (Anchorman, my hubby, my silly kid... the more random the better)Some of my best memories are filled with laughter. I'm a dork/nerd. I always have been from Jr. Band and science classes right on up to now and I'm completely down with that!

I am crafty. Give me some time with my sewing machine and my Cricut and I'm in second heaven. I love to bake and have since I was babysitting my little brothers with my good friend in Jr. High. (yum-O Chicago Crunchy Chocolate Chip cookies!)  I love a good chick lit book (Sophie Kinsella, Marian Keyes and Emily Giffin to name a few of my faves) and a hot bubble bath (so relaxing!) I love being outdoors especially in the summer and fall. It uplifts my mood and makes me happy to get some fresh air and enjoy the outdoors. I love a good hike in the woods or swim in a lake! I'm pretty sure I was a fish in some past life :P I could spend a whole day swimming. Even if I'm not currently in love with the way a bathing suit looks on me I still find it hard to pass up some good swim time. I am obsessed with picture taking. I say "picture-taking" and not photography because I just love capturing every special moment not necessarily the artistic shots.But still do love those artistic photos too! I love jamming to my music in the car by myself at a crazy volume while singing at the top of my lungs or playing piano and watching my fingers accomplish a really tricky piece. I will sometimes sing while going for a walk with the headphones in. Sorry neighbours!

I am a wife and became one  6 years ago. My hubby and I had a summer romance at the camp we both worked at and by the end of the summer decided to try the long distance thing... I do mean loooonnng distance. He lived in Florida and I lived in Canada. We got to visit each other more than you would think and  after four years of many emails, phone calls, and visits we got married ! I love that guy more than I could ever describe. He is my best friend and the one I would trust with my everything. Although we are different personalities we compliment each other in the best ways. We've been together as a couple for 10 years this summer and we have been through a lot ( immigration for two countries, two HUGE moves, a pet passing away, being laid off several times etc. ....not as much as some I'm sure, but still a lot) I can't imagine doing any of it without him.

I am a mom. I became one 2 years ago. I had a pretty awesome pregnancy I must say... No morning sickness, no super tired feeling, no hurting lady lumps. It felt so surreal until I heard my little man's heart beat. That changed everything!(nope I did not know he was a 'he' at that point) Being a mom has changed me in so many ways but I love every minute of it My little dude is super busy and incredibly smart ( it blows me away constantly) He is my little tropical storm and has been demonstrating those mood swings ( very similar to his mama) more now that he is 2! But all he has to do is shoot me a little smile and it makes my day.

That's way more than I ever expected and I'm sure I'm not even scratching the surface of who I am but for those who don't know me.( and even for some of you who do) its a pretty good start.

<3

1 comment: